YES! Now that you have found that ONE apartment/house, this is whats up next and how the whole thing works. (It may differ from place to place)
You have met with the landlord and seen the apartment, now you are going to sign the contract.
- Passport & Visa
- I 20 documents
- Proof of income (Norske studenter: den lille papirfliken fra lånekassen som sier at du KANSKJE kan få så og så mye er sjelden bevis nok for at du har penger, ta med kontoutskrift, eller brevet hvor det faktisk står at du har fått invilget lån)
- money for deposit
- Some places require a letter of recommendation but international students often dont need this. If its a problem then contact your school and have you adviser write you one.
- All roommates need to be there!
What will happen:
- You will be asked to read through the contract, make sure to ask questions about the deposit/return, smoking/nonsmoking, pets (if you are planning on having any), what is included in the rent etc. If its not listed in the contract and just mentioned by the landlord make sure it get into the contract.
- Ask so have the landlord read through the contract with you.
- Sign the contract
- Pay deposit: it varies from place to place, but often two months rent. These needs to be in check or moneyorder
- They will tell you how to set up internet, gas, etc. Gas is often already in the apartment, but you will need to contact the gas company so that they dont turn it off.
- You will be given keys, often a “clicker” for the entrance and garage, A key for the mailbox and the apartment. Make sure you dont loose your keys or “clicker” since they are often very expensive to replace.
You are all set!